It’s easy, let’s do it!
Load your new blog. Simply type your domain name into the address bar of your browser and hit the ‘Enter’ key on your keyboard.
Your new blog should load and appear on your screen. It will have a very basic look to it, something like this:
As you can see, it’s basic and empty but don’t worry because once you make your first blog post and make a few simple tweaks this page will really come to life.
Your new blog uses the ‘default’ WordPress theme, but the cool thing is that there are thousands of other free themes you can use to really personalize your blog. I’ll show you how to do that later in this guide (Hint: It’s really easy!)
Okay, now that your blog is live, it’s time to take a peek behind the curtain at the controls of your blog.
- Go to your Admin Area Login Link (that you saved from Step 2).
- Or simply type in your domain name followed by “ /wp-admin “ in the address bar of your browser and hit the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
You are now at your blog’s Log In page.
- Enter the Username & Password (that you saved from Step 2)
- Click ”Log In”.
You are now inside your blog! This is your “Dashboard” area.
The first thing you’ll notice is a “Welcome to WordPress!” area on your Dashboard. Everything you need to get started blogging is on this panel. There are lots of other options as well, but you can check all those out later.
Are you ready to make your first blog post?
1) On your Welcome panel click “Write your first blog post”.
2) Your writing area will now be displayed, and you can create your post!
- To get your blog rolling, you may just want to title your first post something like “Welcome To My New Blog!” and then have your blog post explain a little about what your blog is going to be about.
3) Click Publish.
That’s it! You are now a published blogger! You have just published your first post on your very own self-hosted blog.
- Let’s go to the front page of your blog now, and see your new blog with your first blog post displayed!
1) Hover your mouse arrow over your blog name in the black bar at the top left of your screen.
2) Click on “Visit Site”.
AND THAT’S IT!
You’ll be taken right to the front page of your blog displaying your first post for all the world to see!
You Can Change Your THEME
The way your blog looks – the colors, graphics, arrangement, etc. – is called a THEME. Want to change the “THEME” of your blog? It’s super easy to do and there are thousands of themes to choose from!
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the Dashboard of your blog.
(1) Select the “Appearance” tab.
(2) Select the “Themes” tab.
- This is your Themes area, and you will see your current theme displayed.
At the top of the page, click the “Add New” button.
As you can see, there are lots of different options for searching out a new theme. I like to see what’s new, so let’s click the “Newest” tab at the top.
Choose the theme you like and click “Install Theme”
You will now see this screen, which will tell you you have successfully installed your new theme into WordPress.
(1) Before you activate your new theme, you can see what it will look like by clicking “Live Preview”.
(2) If you are satsified with the new theme, go ahead and click “Activate”.
Your blog will now have a new look!
You can change themes at any time. Test out different ones to find the perfect one you will be happy with and can stick to for a long time!
- Now that you understand how to operate your blog and make blog posts, it’s time to learn how to drive traffic to your blog! So, let’s go to the next step: