Every Christian should have their own blog!
Welcome to the largest and most accessible mission field on the planet…
The internet is such a large part of our everyday lives! It’s a wonder that so many people who are active online with Facebook, videos, news, articles and the like have never taken the next simple step of starting their own blog. It’s so easy now to get into the super-fun and satisfying world of “blogging”.
But it’s not just about writing!
As a matter of fact, you don’t have to be a “good writer” to start blogging, and you don’t even have to have tons of things to say, because there are so many interesting things that you can do with a blog.
You can keep a daily journal… you can write your own inspiring daily devotionals… you can post photos with captions… you can link to cool online stuff… you can show interesting videos you’ve run across…
It’s super-easy to keep a blog fresh and interesting!
The only real “rule” there is about blogging is that whatever you choose to put on your blog, just try to make sure it provides something of interest or value to your readers.
Having your own blog allows you personal growth, and is a great way to express yourself, inspire others, and make new friends!
Here are 6 reasons why you should really think about starting a blog:
- When someone looks up your name on the internet, they will find your blog. Blogging doesn’t have to be your hobby or occupation. The simplest one-page blog will present a true picture of who you are, what you stand for and what you are passionate about.
- It will help you to become a better writer. It’s simple, the more you write the better you become at crafting ideas and presenting your thoughts in a clear and interesting way. This is the essence of communication and good communication skills can help you in so many areas of life.
- It will help you become a more organized thinker. You will clarify your thoughts by getting them down in writing and the delay between your brain and your fingers on the keyboard will help to filter those thoughts through the mesh of your worldview.
- You can lift up and inspire others. What stories do you have? How have you overcome some difficulty or fear? What are some of the secrets to your success? People are always searching for a little bit of honesty, direction or affirmation. Help them find it!
- You’ll get a boost in confidence. Many people who are more reserved in real life find that they can open up and relate a lot more easily online. When you share your thoughts with others through blogging you have an outlet for both your creativity and the knowledge you’ve gained through your personal experiences. You’ll uncover the many awesome things that you have that you can freely offer to others!
- You’ll make new friends. Bloggers are a community of sorts and you’ll quickly discover that you have many peers with the same worldview, interests and ideas. Bloggers like to support and help each other and most are very friendly!
Okay… But what if you’re thinking, “Hey, those are some really good reasons, but that’s just not me. I don’t really think I’m the blogging type.”
Well… how about helping you in your career? Or establishing your reputation? Or protecting your job? Would you be interested in things like that?
Or… what about earning some extra money, building a side business or laying the foundation for your next career? Do any of those things sound cool to you?
You can do all those things with a blog!
5 More reasons you need to have a blog:
- You can establish and build your reputation in your career or line of work. Show that you are one of the best at whatever it is you do for a living. What are the special skills that you get paid to use every day? Showcase those with a blog that offers free valuable information, and concentrate on building up your reputation. Since most people are too lazy to do this you will elevate yourself in your field and have something more concrete than a business card or a job title to show people. Use your blog to build your résumé.
- You can put a shield up around your job. Utilize your blog to reinforce your value to an employer. Show how good you are at what you do and demonstrate that you are a top performer. Write about your expertise with a goal of becoming well-known in whatever field you are in. Or strive to become thought of as a mentor. Perception is reality, and employers will see a lot of value in an employee that is identified as an expert in his or her field. Again, use your blog to build your résumé!
- You can begin to craft your legacy. How are you going to be remembered? What are the things that are defining your life? What are the reasons that you do things? How do you do those things? Your life is interesting! Make your blog an ongoing autobiography. Regardless of your age, now is the time to begin preparing to document your life in writing for your heirs. A blog is also a powerful tool for reinforcing your worldview or building up a local political movement.
- You can create a job for yourself that you can retire into. Whether your goal is traditional retirement, retiring early or something in between, in order to prepare for the next phase of your life you’re going to need a source of money once you have given up your regular paycheck. And since people are finding it increasingly difficult to live off of passive retirement income, a good strategy is to use your blog to get paid to do something you like and are good at. If you have skills or knowledge that people are willing to pay for, you have something lucrative to blog about.
- Blogging pays. Lots of people make lots of money with their blogs, and you can too. But you don’t need to make any money from your blog in order to receive a big payout. Many times the best paydays that come from a blog are in a different form. Like forging a stronger reputation, becoming more widely known in your field, safeguarding your job and making yourself more valuable to current and potential employers.
Everybody Is An Expert At Something!
Everyone has special gifts, valuable opinions and some kind of specialized knowledge.
Having your own blog can open up a whole new world of opportunity for you and expand your horizons.
- Do you have something to say? Say it.
- Do you have a family blog? Why not?
- Can you help others learn how to do something? Teach them.
- Can you save someone else time and money. Show them.
- Can you teach a class in anything? Teach it.
- Do you have a sermon or two in you? Preach it.
- Have you been there, done that? Explain it.
- Is something worth doing well? Show people why or why not.
By now you’ve probably already come up with all kinds of blogging ideas that I’ve never even thought of! And if not, I hope that I’ve at least given you some good stuff to chew on here.
Think about this…
What If Every Christian Had A Blog?
Could we change the world?
I think every Christian should have a blog; and if we just simply concentrate on our own little circle of influence, the collective impact could be incredible!
One last thing: There is no need to be intimidated by the ‘technical aspects’ of starting a blog! It’s not difficult at all, and it’s pretty easy to find places online that show you how to do it.
So… what are you waiting for?
Give It A Shot!
The mission field is at your fingertips!
**UPDATE: I have been getting requests asking for instructions on how to set up a blog, so I went ahead and created a super-easy, step-by-step tutorial that anyone can understand and follow along with. You’ll be up and running with your own blog in no time at all – 20 minutes or less in most cases!
- If you’re ready to start your blog right now, go straight to Step 1 of my Blog Set Up Guide.
- If you would like a little more information about blog set-up before you begin, then go to the Introduction To Blog Set Up.